Academic and Professional Career:
- 29 April, 2020 – Present; Professor: Department of MRDG, IISc, Bangalore. Mechanisms of muscle and neuronal development, and their diseases; ageing and longevity; epigenetic inheritance; freshwater ecology, drug screening, and understanding science behind Ayurveda formulations using small model organisms.
- April, 2014 – 28 April, 2020; Associate Professor: Department of MRDG, IISc, Bangalore. Muscle and neuromuscular diseases; gerontology; host-pathogen interactions; drug screening, and understanding science behind Ayurveda formulations using small model organisms.
- October, 2004 – March, 2014; Assistant Professor: Department of MRDG, IISc, Bangalore. Development of Drosophila and Zebra fish as model organisms for studying myogenesis, human muscular diseases, axon guidance, neurodegeneration and host-pathogen interactions.
- 1998-2004; Post-doctoral Position: University of York, UK. Interactions between the regulatory proteins of the thin filament in striated muscle: a molecular genetics approach and development of Drosophila as model system for studying human myopathies.
- 1995-1999; Ph.D.: University of Mysore, India. Genetic Analysis of Indirect Flight Muscle development in Drosophila melanogaster.
- B.Sc. and M.Sc.: University of Mysore, India.
- Sir C. V. Raman Young Scientist State Award, 2014.
- Senior Research Fellowship, 1998; awarded by CSIR, New Delhi, India.
- Junior and Senior Research Fellowship, 1995-98; Department of Science and Technology, Government of India sponsored project to Dr. N.B. Ramachandra.
- Iyengar Cash Prize, 1994; for obtaining highest mark in Zoology MSc.
- Gold Medal MSc., 1994; for obtaining highest mark in Zoology MSc.
- Prof. Balakrishna Merit Scholarship, 1992; for obtaining highest marks in Zoology in final year BSc.
- Central School Scholarship, 1982-1989; Department of Human Resources, Government. of India.
- Member of the British Developmental Biologist’s Society, 2000-2005.
- Life member of the Society of Biological Chemist, India (SBC(I))
- Life member of the Indian Society of Cell Biology (ISCB).
- Member of the Indian Developmental Biologists’ Society (InDBS).
- Member of the Federation of Asian and Oceanian Biochemists and Molecular Biologists (FAOBMB)
- Member of the Society for Mitochondrial Research and Medicine, India (SMRM).
- One of the organizing coordinators and resource persons for Academies’ sponsored lecture workshop on “Recent advances in Genetics and Genomics”, held at Manipur University, Imphal, 13-14th November, 2017
- 3rd Annual Conference of the Society for Mitochondrial Research and Medicine (SMRM-2013) – India, held at National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, 19–20th December, 2013.
- Fifth Annual Meeting of Proteomic Society–India, held at NIAS, Bangalore, 28–30th November, 2013
- 79th SBC(I) Meeting held at IISc, Bangalore – 13th-15th Dec, 2010.
- ISSRF Meeting held at IISc, Bangalore – Jan, 2009.
- One day mini-symposium between University of York and Institute investigators – 19th Feb, 2008.
Workshops and courses conducted/organised:
- UGC-NRC-DBS sponsored workshop on “Teaching and Learning with Drosophila: Mendel to Genomics”, held at Biological Science Building, IISc, Bangalore, 29th December, 2014-10th January, 2015.
- Academies’ sponsored lecture workshop on “Recent advances in Chemical Biology”, held at Manipur University, Imphal, 24-26th March, 2014.
- Academies’ Sponsored Workshop for research scholar on “Transferable skills” held at Manipur University, Imphal, 4th–5th April, 2012 and at North-Eastern Hill University (NEHU), Shillong, 9th–10th April, 2012.
- Academies’ Sponsored Workshop for college teachers and students on “Recent advances in biology” held at Manipur University, Imphal, Manipur, India – 28th-29th Mar, 2011.
- Workshop on “Transferable skills – The successful scientist’s other toolbox” for the IISc PhD and Int. PhD students, with Prof. John Sparrow, York University, UK – 28th Feb, 2006.
- The Indian Science Academy-sponsored workshop for college teachers on developmental biology – 14th-20th Dec, 2004.